Some may look at the Bears season and think "9-7, just missed the playoffs, not bad...". Well, that's not my view. They had every opportunity to win games and they gave them away. That's not to say that there weren't good signs on this team this year - Kyle Orton and Matt Forte surprised everybody. But at the end of the day, they couldn't close the deal.
Here are my recommendations for the front office during the offseason:
1. Fire Bob Babich. The defense he inherited from Ron Rivera was #2 and #5 in the two years prior - now they are #28th. Pathetic. He should go.
2. They need to upgrade their safeties and corners. They have good personnel, but they don't have anyone that is a lock down, never throw to him kind of guy. They could use that.
3. I think its time to move away from the Tampa 2 defense. It's great at stopping the run, but they don't have the personnel to stop the passing game (see point#2). At the very least, they need to mix in other schemes with it more.
4. They need a blazing receiver. Man, how that would open up the field for their run game! They have Hester, and he's developing, but it would be great to get a top line receiver in the draft.
5. As always, they need to watch their offensive line. They drafted Chris Williams last year, and hopefully he'll make a contribution this coming season. But they are all getting old.
If they do these, they will be great in 2009. They have a cake schedule and I predict that they go 11-5 and win the NFC North.
Go Bears! (in 2009)